Tuesday, August 21, 2012

New art and natural framing

      Not very far from where we live lots of delicious wines are grown and bottled. Cava, of course, but we are also spoiled by reds and whites at prices our friends in France dream of.  Therefore, we have lots of corks. Like some of you, we find it hard to throw away corks even when the wine isn't memorable. This year I made a foray into acrylic paint on canvas. and today I discovered how nicely art and wine corks pair up.




     Another local artisan product I started using in April to trim canvases is the weaving called llata. The fibers come from a dwarf palm that grows everywhere around us and is a protected species.  Our local group of women aptly named La Llata, teach how to do it in group classes.  They sell their soft but sturdy wares including baskets, hats, belts and place mats at fairs and at El Perello's  Saturday market where I sell my paintings and cards.  They custom make strips of lovely llata for my paintings, as shown here.





No comments:

Post a Comment